Source: Ready. Set. Flambe
With salty cheeses, broths, and other ingredients- the key is too keeps as low sodium as possible. Also avoid recipes with lazy processed cheeses, such as Velveeta or cream cheese.
4 cups Chicken Broth
Substitute: 1/2 Beef Broth with 1/2 water, 1/2 Vegetable Stock, 1/2 Beer (Amber Ale, Porter, or Stout).
2 cups Half n Half
1/2 cup onion diced
3/4 cup broccoli spears diced
1 carrot shredded
Substitute: Garlic, cauliflower, celery, potatoes, peas, corn, zucchini, mushrooms, even cooked rice.
4 TBS unsalted butter
3 TBS flour
2 cups cheddar cheese
Substitute: White cheddar, mozzarella, provolone, pepper jack, or add parmesan
Substitute: White pepper or Worcestershire Sauce
- Sweat diced onion and garlic on low in a large soup pot in butter and salt. Set aside.
(Can also sweat carrots and broccoli, which makes for easir chopping later, but will also be cooked in the soup in the last step)
2. In soup pot, add 4 TBS butter and melt down. Then whisk in 3 TBS of flour. Cook down flour until it is a rue and the flour taste has been cooked out. Add 4 cups of broth.
3. Bring to a boil. During this time you can dice broccoli and dice carrots. When boiling add 2 cups Half n Half as well as all the veggies. Bring back to a boil.
(Can add white pepper and Worcestershire at this point)
4. When boiling, lower temp and let simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add 2 cups of cheese, and blend in till creamy. If clotting, put back on high heat to melt down.
6. If you have not, you can add black pepper. Serve in bread bowl, with croutons, or topped with baton bits and chives.
For Beer Cheese Soup, try: http://allears.net/din/recipes/rec-ched.htm